Wednesday, December 19, 2012

[Browser] Opera Mini





I have a confession to make.

I installed Opera Mini merely to have a look on how Opera Web Pass works.

But I am pleased to report that Opera Mini has now became my default browser.

Why you may ask.

Let me just put it quick and sweet:

Main Pros

1. Save on data

I don't know how they did it, but somehow, surfing using Opera Mini uses very little data compared to other browsers.

According to Opera, data costs can be reduced to up to 90%.

From my own not so scientific real life comparison however, Opera Mini uses around 25% of the data that my stock browser normally used in a month. Not 90% but good enough for me.

For us who do not have an unlimited data plan, this works like magic.

2. Fast

Perhaps due the compression technique that Opera Mini uses, webpage rendering is relatively faster than stock browser and another browser that I was testing.


Main Cons

1. Mediocre Picture Quality

Perhaps also due to the trade off from the data compression technique, the picture quality is mediocre. If you do not enlarge any picture in the browser, they are fine. But if you need to enlarge them, it is advisable that you do not use Opera Mini.

Slight trade off for me.

2. Small Fonts

I need to set the font size to the largest setting to comfortably read on Opera Mini. And the testing was done on Samsung Galaxy S3.

3. You can't press back to exit

For some reason, if you press back till the end, instead of exiting, Opera Mni will merely go into background i.e. it is still running. You have to click the "exit" button, which brings us to the next problem.

4. No Exit button on default setting

Maybe Opera Mini intends to run all the time, that you need to specifically enable the "exit" button in the setting. To do so, go Setting > Advanced > press "On" for Exit Button.


Conclusion 

I would say despite the quirky cons here, the fact that it uses little data and still being awesomely fast wins it for me. As i said earlier, this is now my default browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment